Friday, February 4, 2011
Low cal easy pavlovas
1. 4 eggs
2. 6 oz sugar (about 2/3rds cup)
3. 2 tsp. corn starch
4. 2 tsp. raspberry or wine vinegar
5. Parchment paper
6. Greek yogurt, whatever flavor you like. I enjoy Greek God's Pomegranate. Chobani and Fage are also excellent choices.
7. Fresh berries, cherries pitted, starfruit, kiwi, whatever floats your boat really
8. 1/8 cup favorite preserves.
I. beat 4 egg whites until they form stiff peaks
2. Add cornstarch and vinegar, stir carefully
3. Add sugar slowly beating it into the eggs until it forms a glossy finish
II. Spread parchment paper onto cookie sheets
A. add spoonfulls of the mixture in rounded mounds. Try not to make them much larger than the circle on the bottom of a soda can
B. Put in higher racks of oven for 30-35 min.
III. While letting cool
A. take out your favorite greek yogurt
B.stir in the preserves and set aside
C. Chop up fruit
After the pavlovas have chilled, simply put some of the yogurt mixture on top or on the side of the plate, and top with fresh fruit. The combos of fruit, yogurt, and jam are pretty wide. The classic recipe calls for raspberry jam and vanilla yogurt. My favorite however is the pomegranate with blackberries.
If you are a chocoholic, add some cocoa powder to vanilla yogurt and a bit more sugar.
Garnish with mint leaves
Eat right away or they will get soggy
The pavlovas last a few days as light cookies too.