3 medium apples (Sub. pears, nectarines, and peaches also work well. Use mixed fruits if you like. If you use the softer fruits, cook for a shorter time so they do not become mushy. )
3Tbsp. brown sugar (honey, agave syrup or white sugar can all be substituted.) Play with the amount of sweetness you want and remember, you can always add more if you want.
1/4 cup orange juice or juice of 1 lemon, 1 orange
1 1/2 cup plain rolled outs 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp.powdered ginger or a pinch of fresh grated ginger
1/8 tsp. cardamom (if you like) part of butter or cooking spray
1. Core. Peel, and cut apples into slices, then cut the slices in half
2. Turn the stove top to medium-high
3. Add cooking spray or butter to pan and set over heat.
4. Add fresh ginger to butter or spray in pan. If using powdered, leave until later
5. Add apples, stir and let them get a bit less crispy
6. Add oats (you may want to add more butter or cooking spray here), stir frequently until they are lightly brown then turn heat to medium
7. Add orange and/or lemon juice and water to mix and let soak in.
8. Stir and add spices and sugar
9. Stir mixture until most of the liquid is cooked off
10. Serve by itself or with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.